Thursday, March 02, 2006

My Ebay Vent



As a vintage, costume, contemporary and collectable jewelry website owner I am always on the prowl for new jewelry and vintage jewelry related items. I have mentioned in other posts that I shop all over. Follow the jewels!

I used to use eBay a lot. I have to admit I prefer other venues such as an auction that I attend monthly. The reason is that some sellers on eBay are, well, less than honest and that hurts all of us in the vintage and collectible jewelry business. I have been using eBay less and less for procurement and so have others that I know.

So many eBay dealers knowingly mislead as to condition especially in lots! Not only that there seems to be an increasing number of sellers who are selling outright fake items!

This is disturbing! Not only do they start these known fake jewelry items at ridiculous low starting bids, thereby driving the prices down, some times the items sell for more money that they are worth to unsuspecting buyers! I have seen this happen over and over again.

These unscrupulous sellers are not in this because they love vintage jewelry. They are trying to make a fast buck! They do not care how their practices affect honest sellers. They probably think we are stupid for doing the homework and research and telling the truth. Unfortunately, buyers are also culpable. As a buyer, I know when something is too good to be true. If you buy from these dishonest dealers, why should they stop?

Another pet peeve of mine is the sellers that place their items in the incorrect category. Okay, the eBay categories could be better defined, I admit that but I still do not understand why someone selling an item that is new or a new reproduction under vintage! If an item is new, it cannot be vintage!

And don’t get me started on the sellers that start an item at $0.99 and then charge outrageous shipping.

Not all eBay sellers do these things however there are enough of them that buying vintage jewelry there is nothing short of a crop shoot sometimes!! I also know that mistakes are often made. No dealer/seller can know everything! The costume jewelry market spans centuries and sometimes things slip by. BUT PLEASE…if someone says that the condition of an item is excellent, you do not expect to open the package and find missing stones or broken pin stems! THAT IS NOT EXCELLENT CONDITION!

I do not think eBay will do anything about this. I know they are aware. Maybe there is nothing they can do. eBay is an “on your honor” system and just like in the real world, some people just don’t have any HONOR!

Just my two cents!

http://www.amazingadornments.com/

No comments: