Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Shopping for Vintage Costume Jewelry

I love shopping for vintage jewelry. I think of it as sort of a treasure hunt. You never know where your next “find” will come from.

Sometimes I spend hours at tag/estate sales only to be outbid. I pour over eBay auctions only to not fully trust the descriptions so I do not bid. When I do bid, most of the time I am outbid. Other times, just tooling around town I have run into garage sales and find some unbelievable pieces. Sometimes, I find nothing.

When I manage to find something special, I can’t help but wonder who it belonged to. What did they wear it with, where did they wear it? Oh, if only vintage jewelry could talk. Maybe we should be happy it cannot! LOL!

Mystery marks are always fun. They bring out the detective in me. There are several online sites and books that I use to try to identify a maker’s mark. I am lucky to belong to great jewelry groups with knowledge members, some have even written books. I don’t know what I would do without these super sources of information. Not all the mystery marks are identified. Some hallmarks are too hard to read or there just isn’t any information out there about the maker. I keep a jewelry box for these jewels. You never know where and when an item becomes attributable. I am sure that every jewelry collector has that same feeling of elation when they correctly attribute a mystery mark to a maker!

****Only a few days left to save on Holiday Jewels! Come check out designer items from Hollycraft, Weiss, JJ and more!

***In October Amazing Adornments is having an inventory clearance sale. These items will be priced to move so come on by and try something on.

http://www.amazingadornments.com

No comments: