Saturday, May 20, 2006

Confessions of a Jewelry Book Addict


I just love jewelry books. I don’t care what type. I love books on Victorian jewels, plastic jewelry, silver jewelry, vintage jewelry, you name it. I even picked up a copy of Tiffany Jewels recently and I don’t sell Tiffany jewelry, yet! I think I am addicted.

The truth is, it is impossible to be any good in this field without great reference sources. Reference sources include websites of course, groups and actually seeing in person several pieces from a particular maker. However, in my humble opinion, there is nothing like having a library filled with jewelry books. Did I say, I think I am addicted?

Jewelry books are not only fun, they help you date and name pieces as well as attribute pieces. They also provide a way to get used to the “look” of a designer/manufacturer. What they do best of all is keep you from making silly if not costly selling decisions. Read MISTAKES!

For instance; I have a pair of Sarah Coventry earrings called “Tailored Classic”. They are the earrings shown above. They are nice and they are quite well made, but nothing too special. I intended to sell them, most likely on eBay, for far less than they are worth. I have seen these earrings on other websites; one in particular has the bracelet that matches listed at $16.00. I knew that if I listed them on eBay I would be looking at less than $5.00 for them.

It just so happens that I recently purchased Lillian Baker’s book, Fifty Years of Collectable Fashion Jewelry 1925 – 1975 and was flipping through it for the first time when I saw them with the matching bracelet. I was able to find out that they are from the 50s and that the bracelet and earrings as a set are valued between $45.00 and $55.00. Needless to say, eBay is out as a venue for selling these earrings!

This same experience prompted me to order a book on Sarah Coventry jewelry and put books pertaining to Avon, Monet and Napier costume jewelry on my wish list. This type of jewelry is prevalent on the market. I always seem to get a piece or two in lots. Older Monet and Napier are harder to come by, however I still get quite a bit of it.

Some people think of these makers as the lower end of the market. In terms of prices, they are probably correct. The thing is, as I mentioned, I get these makers quite often and why not have as much information as possible! There is nothing like a book to help in this regard.

So, even if I am addicted to jewelry books, I think any purchase of them is justified. My Sarah earring incident has solidified my belief!

Carolyn
www.amazingadornments.com

No comments: